Municipal Elections in Rural Municipalities

2022 Elections

On November 2022, municipal elections will be held for councillors representing even-numbered divisions  (Division 2, 4 and 6) in rural municipalities.


The term of office for all members of council is four years, which typically commences at the first meeting following the election. 


The nomination period begins when the returning officer publishes and posts the call for nominations TBA. Nominations may be filed any time during regular office hours from the time the call for nominations is posted until the deadline of 4:00 p.m. on Nomination Day, which is TBA. If a further call for nominations is required as a result of insufficient candidates, the second nomination period expires on .


You are eligible for nomination as a candidate for municipal office if you are:

  • at least 18 years old on Election Day;
  • a Canadian citizen;
  • eligible to vote in the rural municipality; and
  • a resident of Saskatchewan


You require at least two voters to sign your candidate's nomination paper. If you are seeking nomination as the reeve, the nominators may be any voter in the rural municipality. If you are running as a councillor, the nominators must be eligible to vote in the division you wish to represent.

If your municipality has passed a bylaw requiring candidates to submit a criminal record check, it must be filed with the nomination paper.

Your nomination paper must be duly completed, signed, and accompanied by the candidate's signed acceptance.


Election Day is Wednesday, November 9, 2022.


To be eligible to vote, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old;
  • be a Canadian citizen; and
  • qualify as one of the following:
    1. a resident in the rural municipality for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the day of the election;
    2. the registered owner (or purchaser under a bona fide agreement for sale) of land in the rural municipality;
    3. assessed with respect to land in the rural municipality under a lease, license, permit, or contract in agreement with the registered owner;
    4. assessed with respect to an improvement in the rural municipality;
    5. hold a permit in the rural municipality with respect to a trailer or mobile home;
    6. a spouse of a person mentioned in clause (b), (c), (d), or (e); or
    7. the chief executive officer of a duly incorporated co-operative, corporation or religious a