Municipal Elections in Rural Municipalities

In October 2016, municipal elections will be held for councillors representing odd-numbered divisions and the reeve in rural municipalities.


The term of office for all members of council is four years, which typically commences at the first meeting following the election. If your municipality is holding a by-election for a councillor representing an even-numbered division, their term of office will end at the first meeting following the general election in October 2018.


The nomination period begins when the returning officer publishes and posts the call for nominations (on or before September 6, 2016). Nominations may be filed any time during regular office hours from the time the call for nominations is posted until the deadline of 4:00 p.m. on Nomination Day, which is Wednesday, September 21, 2016. If a further call for nominations is required as a result of insufficient candidates, the second nomination period expires on October 5, 2016.


You are eligible for nomination as a candidate for municipal office if you are:

  • at least 18 years old on Election Day;
  • a Canadian citizen;
  • eligible to vote in the rural municipality; and
  • a resident of Saskatchewan

You require at least two voters to sign your candidate's nomination paper. If you are seeking nomination as the reeve, the nominators may be any voter in the rural municipality. If you are running as a councillor, the nominators must be eligible to vote in the division you wish to represent.

If your municipality has passed a bylaw requiring candidates to submit a criminal record check, it must be filed with the nomination paper.

Your nomination paper must be duly completed, signed, and accompanied by the candidate's signed acceptance.


Election Day is Wednesday, October 26, 2016.


To be eligible to vote, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old;
  • be a Canadian citizen; and
  • qualify as one of the following:
    1. a resident in the rural municipality for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the day of the election;
    2. the registered owner (or purchaser under a bona fide agreement for sale) of land in the rural municipality;
    3. assessed with respect to land in the rural municipality under a lease, license, permit, or contract in agreement with the registered owner;
    4. assessed with respect to an improvement in the rural municipality;
    5. hold a permit in the rural municipality with respect to a trailer or mobile home;
    6. a spouse of a person mentioned in clause (b), (c), (d), or (e); or
    7. the chief executive officer of a duly incorporated co-operative, corporation or religious association that is assessed on the last revised assessment roll with respect to property in the rural municipality that is not exempt from taxation.

Reeves are elected at large by all voters, whereas councillors are elected only by voters qualifying to vote in that division. Your property tax notice contains information about the division in which you are entitled to vote.


Eligible voters can vote at the polling station set up in their municipality. The Notice of Vote includes details about the location of polling places. The polling station is open from 9:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on Election Day. Voters are required to provide proof of identity.

Instructions on how to vote are posted at the polling station. If you need help, the Deputy Returning Officer, who gives you your ballot paper, will assist you.

The ballot(s) provided to you by election officials list the names of candidates for each office alphabetically in the order of their surnames. The candidate's occupation may be printed beneath the candidate's name.

You may vote for only one candidate for reeve and/or for a councillor in the division you are entitled to vote in by making a distinct "X" in the space following a candidate's name. The ballot is secret.


Your municipality may provide opportunities to vote at an Advance Poll. Council is required to provide the opportunity if at least five voters request the advance poll on or before September 26 (at least 30 days before Election Day).

Voting at an Advance Poll is conducted in the same manner as a regular poll. The locations and hours of all Advance Polls are listed on the Notice of Advance Poll, advertised in your municipality. This information is also available from the Returning Officer.


Your municipality may provide opportunities to vote by mail. Contact the municipal office to determine if this option is available.